Wednesday 25 August 2010

Ho Fan beef noodles and jazz

leaving work yesterday I switched the mobile on just to find a txt message from hubby:

thank you for the salad wrap, yeah...you forgot it you silly moo!!!

I know, doesn't sound very good but he is that nice to me LOL
we both take pack lunches to work and every day I make him a ham and salad wrap, only yesterday I didn't seam to remember the HAM part! On an attempt and redeem myself I decided to buy him some Millie cookies, that we both love. On the way to the Liverpool St station however I got pass the Leadenhall Market where there was this guy selling some home baked brownies, as well as tarts of all sorts and these huuuuge meringues. I saw this guy before, during one of my walks from work to Liverpool st tube and didn't have a single coin on me on the day and since then I have craved those brownies uncontrollably. Of course I bought a couple of them, and I have to say, they were massive! Unfortunately not as nice as I would've liked still massive!!! Anywho...got off the central line near home and passing by one of our favorite bakeries I noticed they still have ONE cheese and bacon turnover left, which happens to be hubby's favorite thing at this whole bakery, yap, got one of those as well. He got home a nice cup of tea surrounded by bags full of treats.

the point is to say that 1 massive brownie, half a white choc chip cookie and half a cheese and bacon turnover (and that was just me coz I bought 4 cookies all together) There was no way I would eat anything else at all for the whole evening.
After all that I arrived at work today to find out that lunch was fish and chips (my puy lentil and feta cheese salad got too soggy in the fridge so had to ditch it).
Today I got home decided not to go for more silly eating and have a proper dinner, something out of my weekly menu. As hubby switched on his xbox I put my spotify on with the beautiful Madeleine Peyroux playing and off I went to the kitchen to prepare a very quick and easy Ho Fan Beef Noodles dish.
After a day of loads of rain the sunset type of light that was coming through our balcony door and the background jazz turn my prep experience until something just a little bit more special than the usual.


Ho Fan beef noodles 

100g wide rice noodles (ran out of it but had some thins ones and it works just as well)
200g lean sirloin steak, trimmed of all fat
olive oil spray
freshly grounded salt and pepper
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced (just realized I didn't use this, I bet it would be even better with garlic so go for it)
2cm knob of ginger, peeled and finely shredded
3 spring onions, cut in half and chopped
1 large carrot peeled and cut into ribbons (just use the veggie peeler for this)
100g tender stem broccoli, sliced lengthways through the middle
1 red pepper and 1 yellow pepper deseeded and chopped
1 red chilli, sliced (I only used 1/2)
3 tbsp premium oyster sauce (didn't have it so used Worcester sauce and a few drops of Thai fish sauce)
2 tbsp soy sauce


spray olive oil on both sides of the steak and sprinkle some salt and pepper then sear it by frying on a smoking hot griddle or frying pan for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, leave it to rest. Slice it into thin bite size bits before using it.
on a small ramekin mix the worcester and soy sauce with a tbsp of water the ginger and chili (I don't like anything too hot so used only half and it was really nice, plus i tend to chop it very small), leave it to rest.
on a large and hot wok  add the spring onions to the olive oil (the garlic as well if you remember to use it LOL) then stir fry the vegetables for about 2 minutes add the sauce and the rare steak, lastly add the noodles and mix it through until warm, serve it straight away!!!

notes
the stir fry timings can change, hubby likes his veggie soft so I never cook it too quickly, although raw veggies are better for you. Also considering the soft veggie thing, I will next time, steam the broccoli for a little while before adding it to the wok.
same with the steak, it will be rare from the searing process so remember that by stir frying it it will cook a bit more so be careful.
the original recipe asks 10 small shiitake mushrooms and 5 large ones cut in half, as I don;t eat mushrooms (don't believe on vegetables with no enzymes LOL, don't worry I know mushroom isn't exactly a veggie)
I replaced it with the carrots ribbons.


Dinner was great, hubby found broccoli too hard but I loved them, looove tendersteam broccoli!!!
Will be cooking this again soon with the right noodles and some garlic!!!


not easy to photograph stir fries I have to say, but I think you can have an idea of the yummyness of the dish!
Bank holiday is coming and as we are going to visit the in laws I am planning to test this really nice cookies recipe a friend sent me and of course I'll stop by to let you know what happened!!! 

1 comment:

I would love to hear your story and comments so why not leave us a message?