Monday 17 January 2011

trying new things

I've known for a while that wholegrain (wholemeal and wholewheat) bread and pasta are meant to be a lot better for you than the normal processed white flour stuff  however to this date, I haven't yet found a good wholegrain pasta that I could actually say I liked and since I love pasta, that was a big issue for me.
A few weeks ago I found on the Tesco's website this brown rice penny from Dove Farm and thought that could be a good idea since I've used quite a few products from this brand and had good results so far.
EASIER SAD THAN DONE I did order the pasta at least 4 times and this weekend was the very first time they actually had it in stock, just as well as i was already thinking of ordering the stuff straight from the Dove Farm website.
My goal today was to make a nice ragu type of sauce to go with the brown rice pasta and I have to say, it came up a treat!



Sauce


250g mince beef (I usually buy mince with less than 12% fat and still drain it after browned but on this sauce I think the little fat makes a difference) - a good option here if you don't have the meat at home is to open some sausages skins and blend the meat on the food processor or use turkey meat which will make your meal even healthier!
1 stalk of celery - cut julienne
1 onion, medium oo large - cut into small cubes
2 carrots - cut julienne
1tbsp of ramp seed oil
1/2 a tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp tomato pure
2 slices of red jalapeño
3 cloves of garlic
3 orange bell peppers - cut into cubes
salt, pepper and oregano to taste

150g of brown rice pasta and Parmesan cheese to top it

pass the carrots and celery sticks as well as the jalapeños and garlic through the food processor and reserve -  I do that because I don't have a slow cooker, also it's a great trick when you just want to cook a quick meal - fry the onion on 1tbsp of oil until soft then add the carrot and celery mix and stir to combine, fry for about a minute then add the mince meat. Once the meat is brown add the bell pepper and fry for another minute before add the chopped tomatoes, mustard and tomato pure - I like to run a bit of water on the tin where the tomatoes came from and add to the sauce. Turn the heat down and leave it to seamer.
on the meantime bring a saucepan of water - with a spray of oil and a bit of salt - to boil and add the pasta, cook for 5 to 7 minutes (that was the instruction on the package but it cooks too much so next time I'll probably cook for 4 minutes then leave it to rest so it doesn't go too soft).
Add at least a ladle full of the pasta water to the sauce then drain the pasta and transfer it to the sauce pan where you a cooking the sauce and leave it there to cook for another minute. That will allow the pasta to really suck up the juices on the sauce
Serve it topped with coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese. And well, what can I say? ENJOY IT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your story and comments so why not leave us a message?