Wednesday 25 May 2011

trying new and good things

my whole life I have struggled with diets and at almost 33 and after 5 years living in London I've made a decision that my life must change and the way of doing that would be to ditch a few bad habits and find new really good ones.

As I love food it was crucial for me to find suitable menu options and about 3 weeks in, it feels great!

I really don't know how much I lost so far,  I am avoiding the scales for now,  however I can already wear a couple of pairs of trousers that haven't fit me for at least 1 year now.

I have mainly replaced processed food for wholegrain ones and replaced dinner for something smaller, usually liquid. As you'll see my lunch is now nutritious, delicious and really feeling.

Today’s menu: pasta salad
 the picture isn't brilliant as I've done that at work and my mobile's camera isn't great


Posted by Picasa


50g brown rice pasta
1 small salmon fillet steamed
100g fromage frais seasoned with mustard, soya sauce
 about 6 baby carrots - raw and chopped
1 plum tomato
about Tender Stem Broccoli
+- 80g of sweet corn
1 golden delicious apple 

I will tell here how I prepared to take it to work as a pack lunch, we do have microwave there and sometimes I leave certain bits to cook there to save me on prep time.
Cook the pasta and season it with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano and thyme plus salt and pepper to taste. Steam the salmon fillet for about 20 minutes, I usually steam two fillets at a time and that leaves me with protein for 2 meals ready in the fridge. It will also avoid the salmon going off.
In a Tupperware mix the seasoned pasta and the salmon. In another container season 100gr of fromage frais (fat free) with a bit of soy sauce, Dijon mustard and ½ a teaspoon of ketchup.
Chop the broccoli and pop in the microwave for about 3 minutes, enough to cook but still crunchy. In a salad bow chop all the veggie and the apple and mix in the fromage frais sauce and the pasta with salmon.
This dish had about 590 calories which seams like a lot - but since I don’t eat dinner and providing breakfast and the snacks through the day are not high in calories – isn’t really a bit deal. That said I most confess I found it was just too much food, on a next time I’ll probably reduce the amount of veggie, maybe just the apple, broccoli and corn or carrot will do well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your story and comments so why not leave us a message?