Wednesday 19 September 2012

Highs and Lows

Chilling on a good day


To say that no two days are the same when you have a newborn in the house is an understatement, no two minutes are the same is more like it, the little ones sure like to keep you on your toes.

Little Harry is a good sleeper when it comes to nights but doesn't excel on day time naps still the one thing i can usually count on is his little kip after the first feed of the day, he will usually sleep for an hour, maybe two if he is about to start a very good day. The one thing is sure is that if something goes wrong with that first kip I know we are off to a harder-than-usual day.

Yesterday I was really happy as Harry had a 2 hours kip in the morning. I had time to eat, shower, update the blog, browse the web and - if I knew he was going to sleep for that long - I could have done a lot more, including having a little nap myself.

This morning after his first feed Harry went back to his cot as every morning but only lasted enough for me to have my breakfast - and it was just as well as that was the last meal I've managed through the day - after that he started to fuss and it took me a few attempts to get him to sleep. I knew we were off to a bad day as in the morning he usually doze off on his own.

For the rest of the day I was stepping on egg shells with a 3 month old that is teething and because of that and MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE doesn't feed for longer than about 10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours. New mum's nightmare as health visitor told me to make sure he was feeding for at least 20 minutes after his weight went down on the last two weeks. Add to that the sudden pain he seems to get every now and then - again we are putting that down to teething but there's no way to be sure - and even his usual nap when we go out for a walk didn't go as planned.

After a few hours of crying -that's both the baby and I - many frustrated attempted to feed him - when it usually took me about 20 minutes to make sure he actually fed for at least 10 - some playing with daddy to wait until bath time - and then cry all through bath time - the little bundle of joy fed for half an hour, with some fussing, and went down without a sound.

Yap, little boy took the day to keep me on my toes.


1 comment:

I would love to hear your story and comments so why not leave us a message?