Sunday 23 September 2012

Simple pleasures





When we moved to the flat where we live now I was 8 months pregnant so a lot was left to be sorted later on and since we knew Harry was going to sleep in our room for a while, the nursery was one of those things. Since we decided to move him to his own room, this weekend was dedicated to get the nursery sorted. So for most of the weekend David was potting around moving things from one room to another as well as putting up baby monitor, smoke and monoxide alarms. We still have a few bits and bobs to sort out but tonight i could already rock away on my comfy chair singing lullabies during Harry's last feed for the night and I have to say that felt so good. Our bed time routine have always included songs and cuddles but my back and knees were so much more relaxed - before I used to just seat on my bed and have him resting over my crossed legs - that I had the time to feel the loveliness of the moment and just enjoy the gentle motion myself.
Such a chilly day and with all this rain it was impossible to get myself out with Harry. Poor little boy stuck at home all day, that being said he did have a good few kips today which isn't his normal thing so not too bad. Definitely a duvet day for him. Not for me though;  it doesn't matter the weather, to me is always baby day but again since the other half is at home on the weekends at least I've managed to catch a bit of a kip as well which helps recharging the energy.
To finish off what turned out to be a good day - opposite to Saturday when Harry done a whole lot of crying and didn't want much to do with anything that didn't include staying in my arms - I felt the need to declare autumn well and truly started and cooked ourselves a lovely butternut squash soup with slow cooked chicken thighs and rosemary and garlic croutons. Yummy.

Just to relive my times as food blogger here is a the quick recipe for tonight's dinner:

stir fry some finely chopped onion, carrots and celery (I used frozen ones as these days I'm trying my best to save time and still cooking good food) add a whole butternut squash peeled, seeded, cleaned and chopped until about 1 inch cubes.
Add vegetable stock and cook for about 10 minutes. On the meantime chop some bread into cubes and toss them in olive oil, rosemary and garlic powder then bake in hot oven for about 10 minutes or until golden, you might want to turn them once.
When the squash is cooked put it on the blender with  1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a teaspoon of honey then blend it into smooth, this time I also added some creme fraiche for extra silkiness.

The slow cooked chicken (2 thighs and 2 drumsticks)  were on the high setting of the slow cooker for about 3 hours, I took the skin off and season them with rosemary, garlic power, sage and thyme (all dry herbs) and cooked it on a bit of chicken stock which later I added to the soup to give it an extra flavor.

Well, that's all really, not looking forward to a very wet week and the challenges of going out with little one on this weather but as always I'm sure somehow things will fall into place once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your story and comments so why not leave us a message?